Here are 10 interesting facts of physics that I found from the web:
- The sun doesn’t change color during sunset. We only see it that way because the sun’s wavelengths react with the difference in the atmosphere¹.
- Gelatin doesn’t break if you tap it because of surface tension. The outer gelatin layer serves as an elastic membrane, which is why it only bounces and jiggles¹.
- Water slows down light. Each water molecule has individual surface tension, which distorts the image you see. This is why your face would look cartoonish behind a glass of water¹.
- Sound creates heat. Sound waves generate heat when they travel and are absorbed by materials. You can yell at your soup to warm it. However, sound waves carry minimal energy, so the effect would not be noticeable. You’re better off with a stove or a microwave¹.
- Time goes faster at the top of the building than at the bottom. According to Einstein’s theory of Relativity, the farther an object is from the Earth’s surface, the faster time passes².
- Transparent objects are visible because they reflect light. This is why we can still see glasses and ice¹.
- The gyroscopic effect keeps a bike balanced. The principle is that a spinning wheel tends to stay aligned in its original direction¹.
- You can’t sink in the Dead Sea. The Dead Sea has a very high density because of its salt content, which would make it impossible for you to sink¹.
- Dead people float because of gasses. When a person drowns, their lungs fill with water, which makes them sink. They float back up because the human body releases gas when it dies – making them lighter than the water¹.
- Touch phones don’t detect certain materials because of electrical charge. A typical smartphone would not detect touches from fingernails, rubber, or certain fabrics because they lack the ions needed for the interaction¹.
I hope you enjoyed these physics facts. If you want to learn more, you can check out the web links I used for reference. 😊
(1) 40 Interesting Physics Facts for Curious Minds – Facts.net.
(2) Physics | Definition, Types, Topics, Importance, & Facts.
(3) 100 INTERESTING SCIENCE FACTS – Learn CBSE.
(4) Interesting & Cool Physics Facts for Curious Minds – CollegeMarker Blog.